IPv6 allocations added to simple queues

I logged this as a ticket to Splynx, and was asked by @alexcherry to post it to the forum so that others can benefit from the response.

We are using DHCP for client authentication, so we also use Simple Queue Trees via Splynx and the Mikrotik API which targets the customer static IPv4 address.

I have created a custom field for customer static IPv6 allocation in Splynx, however that network is not included in the Simple Queue Tree entries that are created via API.

Can you please advise how we can capture the IPv6 traffic for addresses allocated to customers within the same queues as the IPv4 traffic? We need to take into account that some customers may not have an IPv6 allocation yet, and we do not want things to break if the value is missing.

Hi Philip, we don’t have support of IPv6 for API queues. Splynx doesn’t support IPv6 natively yet.
IPv6 is supported for PPPoE and works with dynamic queues that are created via Radius (because limited is PPPoE session including all IPv4 and IPv6 inside).

This is what I can tell to this issue now. IPv6 is in development plan for 2018

Hi Alex.

Thanks for the response. This is disappointing.

As an alternative, would it be possible for us to create a new custom field in Splynx to specify the customer interface name, and have the queue target that instead? I suspect this may put less load on the router too, as I think it takes less processing to check which interface traffic is egressing rather than checking the packet headers for every packet across the entire device.

Regards,
Philip

@alexcherry do you have any updates on this? Perhaps a rough timeframe?

We are testing CGNAT implementations to deal with the IPv4 shortage, but don’t want to put customers on CGNAT until we have IPv6 dual stack available so that they have non-NAT connections to at least large service providers such as Google, Netflix, Microsoft, etc. At the moment, queues are the main issue we have preventing IPv6 from being rolled out effectively.

From now, Splynx 2.2 support IPv6 on API Shaping (Simple, and Simple with Tree)

Logiс ± same as on Overview : Example 1

Additional filed: ipv6_prefix (for services internet)

Set IPv6 prefix on Service

And result is: 57%20PM

Please note, we don’t do any validation of IPv6, if it will be BAD it will broke your shaping.
We don’t do any formating of IPv6, so correct format only one:

• 21da:d3:0:2f3b:2ac:ff:fe28:9c5a/128
  • 21da:d3:0:2f3b::/64
    Lowercase, Compressed IPv6, with netmask.

Can you please clarify this? We just upgraded to the latest version and I’m trying to decipher how this works.
We have a custom field for IPv6 Prefix Delegation, but it is not clear how we make it add the IPv6 details to the queue. Does the Custom Field have to have a specific name, eg IPV6 as per your screenshots? Do we have to edit another file somewhere?

filed NAME should be ipv6_prefix, title depends on you.

Thanks! I got it working and was even able to successfully add multiple IPv6 addresses/subnets as a comma-separated list. Now to test it with actual customers… :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone at Splynx for addressing this requirement!