Discrepancy in Data Cap Tarrif Billing

Hello
We have customers who subscribe to Data CAP internet tarrifs/bundles … for example 100GB per month with option to top up if data gets depleted before the end of the month.
Some of these customers have multiple data cap services under the same customer account.
All our customers have their billing day set to the 1st of every month. However when they subscribe for new service under the same customer name lets say on the 18th of the month the system charges part of the full tarrif amount and give the client full data bundle.
For example for a 100GB monthly data Cap tarrif priced at $120 the system generates an invoice of $60 for that same 100GB when subscribed on the 18th.
I believe the needs to be a third billing charging model specifically for data cap packages that is not linked to the number of days but however expires after 30 days upon activation just like in the mobile networks. And when data depletes before 30 days and customer recharges the next data expiry date resets 30days from the recharged date.

Hi,

Please understand that package is monthly…

If you want to make additional charge for usage, you can do it manually in case of you set half of month for customer.

Or set start date of service as 1st of month.

This two things cover your problem.

No they do not.

Data Cap bundles or tarrif plans should not be linked to days. The billing logic should be different from monthly speed packages.

I believe the needs to be a third billing charging model specifically for data cap packages that is not linked to the number of days but however expires after 30 days upon activation just like in the mobile networks. And when data depletes before 30 days and customer recharges the next data expiry date resets 30days from the recharged date.

In other words they have expiry date but not billed according to day. you can buy 100GB and use in a day. What if I top 100GB on the 28th on the month. Do I have to be billed again on the 1st for another 100GB even with roll over implemented?

Dear Ruslan

I said earlier Data Cap billing logic should not be confused with unlimited data or monthly speed limit billing logic. With the later customer is charged a fixed amount every month so the existing logic which uses days works.

Take for example,;
i) a customer who has his/her billing date on the 15th of every month for a 100GB data cap bundle.
ii) He buys 100GB on the 15th but finishes it on the 10th of next month. So he does a topup of 100GB on that 11th
iii) Then the next 5 days (15th actual billing date) the system will charge the customer again for another 100GB whether rollover unused data is implemented or not.

Many of our customers have stopped using our service because we can not offer this flexibility. Other providers are able to offer.

I believe the needs to be a third billing or charging model specifically for data cap packages that is not linked or calculated as function of the number of days but however expires after 30 days upon activation just like in the mobile networks. And when data depletes before 30 days and customer recharges the next data expiry date resets 30days from the recharged date.

The current 2 billing models does not address data cap users effectively.

cheers

Hi, I’m not sure if you understand correctly how our CAP works.
You are mixing two things together here - DATA Usage included in plan (monthly charge) and the TOP UP data that you sell to customers.

Your example :
You are saying “Customer is charged every month for 100 GB cap bundle”.
Customer is not charged for data. Customer is charged for a PLAN every month. For example the plan is 5 Mbps Upload/Download with 100 GB of data included. Every month his monthly data usage that is included in these 100 GB will be reset and it’s correct.

If your customer has bought additional 100 GB but used only 50 GB, next month he will get 100 GB according to his plan and unused 50 GB from his top up will be added too = his data will be 150 GB.

You are saying : “iii) Then the next 5 days (15th actual billing date) the system will charge the customer again for another 100GB whether rollover unused data is implemented or not.”

Customer is not charged again for another 100 GB. He is charged for his Montly PLAN of 5 Mbps Up/Download, that has included the 100 GB traffic.

If you want to charge ONLY transferred customer data, then you must set the PLAN to price 0 and 0 GB included. And then just add TOP UPs to your customer, then Splynx will not charge anything monthly for data and you will work only with sold data to customers.

Thanks Alex

Very well explained. I will test that and give feedback.
My only concern is the customer gets blocked at the end of monthly plan even when price is 0. Unless a transaction of 0 price is effected.

cheers

Hi Guys,

wrong idea, if you will set 0 Gb - tariff will be unlimited !!! I tested it with devs. So, best idea - set minimal data, like 1 KB and it will work,

Ok, @theafricanpenguin please check what Nik says, it’s will work if you setup low amount like 1MB, instead of 0

yeah noticed that yesternight during testing. Created capped plan of value $0 and 10MB. In the cap section created the various topup plans.

Logic now is.
Customers signs up for plan and pays $0 and get 10M free data allowance. He has the option to buy any of the available topup plans.

Thank you guys just saved us from loosing a lot of customers.

Thank you guys just saved us from loosing a lot of customers.

Always pleasure for us. That’s very good to hear :slight_smile: